[lit-ideas] Re: The Talk

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 10:14:49 -0700

On Jul 30, 2008, at 9:47 AM, John Wager wrote:

I opened with, "What an honor it is to be speaking to this august body...[pause]...in the last week of July." It was a bit of a test. After a pause in which it seemed to me you could hear people thinking, they laughed, first just a few and then with others joining in, and I knew they'd follow the rest of the talk and attend carefully. If they hadn't laughed, what would I have done?
March right out of there!!!!

Punning in public and muddling your prepositions in the presence of the unblinking eye of Samsara are like circling your tale while waiting for Godot... none can make you Wilde.

David Ritchie,
in the tube,
sixty nine miles from Seaside