[lit-ideas] The Sexual History of Chastity

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 21:17:25 EDT

For a complete and learned history of this  cul-de-sac, try "The Origin of
the Word Condom," pp. 191-194 in Norman E.  Himes, "Medical History of
Contraception."

---

Thanks. I've also tried a learned history of the word  'sheath'.

sheath, "a contraceptive made  of thin rubber worn on the penis; a condom."

-- This is what Geary calls an 'encyclical', or circular  definition ("Nota
bene: condom is defined as a sheath, and a sheath as a condom  -- Heaven's rim
indeed").

1861 G. DRYSDALE Elem.  Soc. Science (ed. 4) II. 349

"The accessory and sensational part of  the venereal act is obtained..by the
use of the sheath (which is..very frequent,  but more so on the continent than
in this country)."

-- Odd I would think, in view of Catholicism, etc.

1897 Science  of Generation xx. 235

The use of various mechanical contrivances, such as  French Safes, Condom
Sheaths, etc.

-- This use of "French" -- or "Frenchie" is common in Baroness  d'Orczy ("We
searched those Frenchies all around")

1919 M. C. STOPES Let. to  Working Mothers 14

"Some men like to use a sheath, and this is quite a  safe method."

This is what R. Paul calls a 'scalar 'implicature'': "Some men  like it",
"Some men don't". "While this is an 'implicature' it's  hardly part of what M.
C.
Stopes is _saying_ on behalf of the working  mothers"

1962 Lancet 2 June 1194/1

The survey shows that the sheath and coitus  interruptus are still the
methods most commonly used for contraception in this  country.

1977 E. J. Trimmer et al. Visual Dict. Sex (1978) xiv. 134

Careful attention must be taken in the rolling on of  the sheath so as not to
damage it.

-- in which case it wouldn't be so effective. Trimmer  goes on to detail an
undamaged vs. a damaged one in his fig. 24.5

---

Cheers,

JL