[lit-ideas] Re: The Sect of the Phoenix

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 20:54:59 +0100

I do like this inconspicuous thread title. It makes me think I'd actually get
away with a conversation about eritic literature.

And that reminds me of a news item (probably on local TV because it was so
funny), in which a man (living alone no doubt) tells the reporter how much he
deplores the Adult TV channels and how, for the public good, he has conducted
many hours of research and recorded many videotapes, in exploring the problem.
'And it's getting worse,' he might have said while rubbing his hands together.

Ashbee, for those without the necessary Latin to decipher his titles, wrote two
bibliographies of erotic literature. Which I think was a great achievement in a
time when nobody would admit in public that they even knew about such books,
let alone having read them. That aside, it also seems to me that there is also
a certain intellectual heroism in producing a bibliography - of anything really
- but more because Ashbee's work could never be publically lauded. He had his
circle of appreciating friends, no doubt, but there were no prizes for what he
did.

Ashbee also had a rare old time producing entries in a wonderful publication
called 'Notes and Queries'. A real gentleman's relish of a periodical in which
clever weople would ask clever questions that would be answered by more clever
people. Ashbee, Gibson discloses, cheated a bit by asking his own leading
questions to which he would provide the answer.

Ah to be a Victorian! A huge beard, an alarmingly exciting private life and an
Empire to visit.

Regards

Simon