[lit-ideas] Re: The Preamble, Art, Tomatoes

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 10:00:54 -0700

You know that I have applied for U.S. citizenship and that I am working my way through, "Quick Civics Lessons," which is document M-638 issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, U.S. Department of Homeland Security. ("Question 76: What is the introduction to the Constitution called?" Answer, "The Preamble.") Well it turns out that by the time I'm called for an interview--the waiting period is long--I might need to take a tape measure along and be ready to ask the interviewer a few questions about morning light in her office and earthquake safety issues. PNCA and a developer are competing over the building that now houses this government institution. We want a home for an expanded art college; he wants to house a farmer's market below condominiums.

http://www.portlandart.net/archives/2007/10/pnca_and_portla.html

Portland faces a clear choice once Homeland Security is gone: will it be art, or tomatoes and condos?

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon