[lit-ideas] Re: The Old Contemptibles Are Back

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 14:21:34 -0700

Learning to speak [Japanese] can feel very awkward,  indeed.

Not true. It's very easy to pronounce.

"Why can't they ever learn _our_ language?", they complain. I trust they are trying.

Be careful what you wish for.

India will soon surpass the USA as the world's largest English-speaking country. But they will hold that title only for a while. China will take that title and hold it forever.

Indeed, Gordon Brown, prime minister of the UK, pointed out that by 2025, the number of English-speakers in China will be larger than the number of speakers of English in the entire rest of the world.

The web has already gone "Asian". The total number of US users is 233m. There are 437m Aisan users. This means the US will never be #1 on the web, simply due to population numbers.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com