[lit-ideas] Re: The More the World Changes...

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 18:56:36 -0800

In today's snail mail I received a brown envelope postmarked Dar es Salam, with
a fine picture of a rhino on the stamp.  When I say "I"...it was actually
addressed to Robert Ritchie, but let's not get crabby or nit pick; altogether
it was a very fine piece of all caps typing.  Strange to say, the note inside
was also all in caps.  It came from CHARLES TAYLOR (JNR), son of the former
president of Liberia.  I thought possibly he was writing to everyone in the
world to apologize for his father's brutality, but it turns out that Charles
Taylor (WHO IS CURRENTLY BEING HELD AGAINST HIS WILL BY THE UNITED NATIONS FOR
ALLEGED OFFENCES OF WAR CRIMES) is actually "A GOOD MAN WHO TRIED TO DO SO MUCH
FOR OUR PEOPLE LIBERIANS."

Now comes the part you've anticipated.  It turns out that Charles Taylor has a
friend whose name was exactly the same as mine and he so liked this man that,
even while pursuing his busy schedule of doing many good things for Liberians,
he decided to deposit $177 million dollars in a bank in that man's name.  And
then...  "AS THE NEXT OF KIN TO THE DEPOSIT TO AVOID ANY TRACE.  THIS FRIEND OF
MY FATHER DIED ON 25th JULY IN A MOTOR ACCIDENT."  In spite of such hints of
evidence about what happens to friends of the family, junior now wants me to
send my "contact informations" so that I can join him in a "CORDIAL BUSINESS
RELATIONSHIP."

David Ritchie,
wondering who sold my address to people masquerading as the son of a murdering
bastard,
Norway,
(QUITE NEAR TIBET).