[lit-ideas] The Logic of Fiction

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:48:00 EDT

In a message dated 8/25/2004 2:53:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Thank  you, JL.  When philosophers start talking about 'form' or  'substance'
or 'accidents', etc.  I get squirrelly.  I'm never  sure just what they're
talking about.    Richard Rorty seems  to
make the claim that fiction is the only real philosophy being done  today.  I
wonder if he doesn't mean that philosophizing from fiction  is the only
philosophy being done today.

----

Thanks for the comments. My quotes on hylomorphism were meant to show that
for some reason, Anglo-Saxon authors tend to regard the form/content
distinction  ('form'/'matter' to be more precise) to be _dogmatic_ -- the fact
that
there's a  grand name for the doctrine may help there -- hylomorphism.

I don't think 'fiction' is _essential_ for philosophical analysis, but
others disagree. Gregory Currie has interesting stuff on that, based on Borges,

etc. -- basically an analysis of the difficult idea of a 'logic of fiction'.
Philosophers in the analytic tradition have been mainly concerned with whether
the current King of France wears a wig -- or visited an exhibition.

But there must be more to it than that.

Cheers,

JL