[lit-ideas] Re: The Geopolitics of Kung Fu Film

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 00:34:50 -0800 (PST)

EY:

Interesting that the earliest "good" Kung Fu films,
such as Bruce Lee's _Game of Death_ were the most
realistic from a martial arts / JKD point of view.
Whereas movies like Crouching Tiger feature a bunch of
Chinese acrobats flying around on wires.

*Well, the Bruce Lee films were produced in the West
and/or for Western audiences. Some of the martial arts
films I catch a glimpse of these days - possibly Hong
Kong production and at least one of Indian production
- don't even purport to be realistic. It seems to be
some combination of surrealism and comedy. I imagine
the said film might be somewhat like that also.

On the other hand, I glimpse some other Kung Fu films
that feature quite convincing and often very gruesome
(yes, even for my taste, Julie) scenes of violence,
injury and so on.

O.K.

Be a PS3 game guru.