[lit-ideas] Re: "The Causal Theory of Perception"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 19:22:26 EDT

In a message dated 6/16/2009 6:53:30 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I've looked at this  post (below) a few times and it is very learned, no
doubt, but really I am too  simple-minded to be persuaded by what I don't
clearly understand.
----

Let's see if I can do better.

You (Donal McEvoy) was asking about CTP -- and the metaphysical realism and
 the issue of truth.

There _is_ a sense in which the Causal Theory of Perception _allows_ for a
realist interpretation.

Surely if you say,

"That pillar box seems red to me"

as being *caused* by

a pillar box which _seems_ (or is) red,

you are bound to be making a connection.

But from what I read in Grice -- only Section III of Causal Theory of
Perception deals with those metaphysical issues, of truth, etc.

Most historically, it seems that 'philosophers of perception' of the
Gricean ilk -- Oxford in the 1930s, 1940s, etc. -- were into "Phenomenalism"
proper. How to analyse 'reports of sensation' per se. Recall the classic by G.
A. Paul, "Is there a problem about sense data?"

----

So, no talk of reality or truth would have appealed the Oxonian, because he
 was into the 'linguistic botanising' of proper ways to describe our
'sensa' --  J. L. Austin, Sense and Sensibilia.

Ayer, a post-Viennese, and others, laughed at the Oxonians, but in
retrospect, it seems they did a good job in analysing all sorts of linguistic
phenomena that those into 'realism' and 'truth' would never had even dreamed
they existed?

Cheers,

JL Speranza
   Buenos Aires, Argentina