[lit-ideas] The Canadian election...

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 17:07:51 -0500

For the Canadians among us....
A letter forwarded from a friend of a friend in the history dept. at Laurentian U.

------------------------------

Hey Canadians,

Get a grip. I’m not even a Liberal but I understand when things are going well and wonder why you want to throw it away because a few two bit crooks stole forty five million and change ten years ago. Is this a lot of money? Sure it is, but in it’s proper perspective, considering the budget is forty six BILLION, it is within the boundaries of normal business shrinkage. Should the crooks be brought to justice? Certainly, but our reaction is like someone stole a lamp in your furniture store and you felt you had to change the whole management. If you are looking for a scandal why don’t you go after the crooks who shorted us by nine BILLION when they sold highway 407. Now there is a “nary a whisper” scandal.

Can we predict which way Stephen Harper is headed by looking back at Mike Harris and today’s George Bush? I think so. Their dysfunctional fiscal policies (talk frugal, spend lots, leave big debts) and aggressive ideological agenda are similar.

We seem to be ready to embark on a confrontational future by revisiting the death penalty, abortion, and gay marriages. All matters that reasonable citizens thought we had dealt with.

When voters say they are willing to take a chance on Stephen Harper do they mean they are willing to chance having our troops engaged in ever escalating warfare in Afghanistan, and Iraq, or in joining what has been referred to as the “21^st century Maginot Line” in the form of the Anti Ballistic Missile Shield. Can we believe him when he says he will not do these things? By taking a chance do we mean we are willing to trust his unknown but obvious direction for health care? Maybe, but I would recommend you Google Stephen Harper’s past quotes before making a decision here.

According to Harper he is a Populist rather than a Conservative. In other words his roots are in the Social Credit, Union National, Reform, Alliance parties who have constantly changed their names until they were able to highjack one with some respectablity.

Their past leaders included the Bennetts, Van der Zalm, and Duplessis for whom I’ll let the records speak.

To our new immigrants, whom I welcome with open arms, I say, Your future is best secured by parties which are secular and pragmatic than a party with extreme fundamentalist members who have to be muzzled during an election. [/Ursula adds...this is a story in itself/]

Let’s move forward Canada with milestone programs like Child Care for which we have been waiting so long and which we are about to give up when we have finally reached its doorstep. It’s simple, just step through the door. Turn away the idealogues one more time.

Let’s do it.