[lit-ideas] Re: The Button Moulder's Fan and Other Animals

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 11:47:25 -0500

At 11:31 AM 1/2/2007, you wrote:
I do hope more people take David up on his question as I'm interested in what books everyone found worth in this last year, both old and new.

I'll have to split this one into fiction and non-fiction because they are such totally different beasts:

Fiction:

The best book I read last year -- unquestionably Miriam Toews' "A Complicated Kindness". My sister gave this one to me and said "you're going to LOVE this book". She was right. She and I both loved it because:

1) it's quintessentially, small town Canadian coming of age
2) we are basically the same age as the author
3) we also grew up surrounded by thousands of mennonites and saw their kids struggle with their "background"

Every page of this book made me laugh, nod my head in agreement and think of a 'character' from my own childhood who I could identify with the people in the book.

But I hear, quite a lot of 'mer'cans like it too.

Non-Fiction:

The God Delusion -- Richard Dawkins.

I could go on about this, but I already have, so I won't.

Paul

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON, Canada