[lit-ideas] Re: The Bear

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 22:23:01 -0400

However much I love my bears, and however much I'm not afraid of them, I
still would treat them respectfully, which means giving them their space,
as I would like them to give me mine.  They are timid, they are used to
people,  and they are easily scared, but they're still wild animals.  I use
a cow bell and I say bad bear, go on, and jump up and down and they run
into the woods.  I would never under any circumstances feed them, and I
think feeding them is even against the law.  Once fed, the bears become
nuisances and sometimes they have to be captured and euthanized.  I would
never approach them either, if for no other reason than that makes them
more vulnerable to human predation. It's so much better for the bear to be
afraid of humans.  It protects both human and bear, especially since humans
don't do a good job of cohabiting with animals.  The animals always lose.

My fawns are older now.  Their innocence is gone.  They don't have that
run-just-to-run energy anymore, and where the one fawn a few months ago
stared at me in amazement when I was mowing, like it had never seen
anything like that before, this time I was in the house and the fawn saw me
through the window and it stopped, froze and they all ran away.  Can't stop
time.  A buck with a small rack came by the other day.  Anyway, here's a
site on black bears:

http://www.bear.org/Black/BB_Home.html

http://www.bear.org/Black/Articles/How_Dangerous_are_Black_Bears.html