[lit-ideas] The Bear

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 15:55:53 -0400

Just now, as I was writing some blather to the List, I looked out the window into the hillside garden beside the house where I am vacationing.

A large black bear was climbing up the hill to the orchard on top. I've seen other black bears. This one was mature, large, and quite fat with a very shiny coat.

I left the blather on the computer, grabbed a 12-gauge shotgun and a couple rounds of shotgun slugs, and went up the hill after it.

The bear was sitting in a patch of tall grass on the northern side of the orchard. I stood about twenty-five feet from it. It moved away a few feet and turned to look at me. I stood my ground and said, "Hi!"

It cocked its head. I waved and said "Bear!" The bear stepped forward a bit, and settled down again in the tall grass, facing me. I stood there for half a minute watching it, then came down the hill to write this.

Extremely odd behavior. Black bears are nonaggressive and scare easily. When I said "Hi" to it, I expected that it would take off into the mountain. Instead it showed some curiosity, settled down, and kept an eye on me. Must be getting used to people.

I'm glad there's a bear in the orchard. May it grow even fatter and have a good sleep this winter.