[lit-ideas] The Altogether Girl and the One-At-A-Time Boy

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 01:21:00 -0400 (EDT)

-- and disputable metaphysics.

"Every  boy  loves some girl" (R. Paul)
"Every girl destests some boy"   (Grice).

Grice's Altogether Boy and One-At-A-Time

R. Paul  was  mentioning some substitutional quantificational problem which

reminded me of ...  Grice.

In "Reply to Richards" (R. Grandy/R.  Warner, PGRICE, Oxford,  1986), Grice
writes:

"To the epithet,  'boy', it will be assigned not
only boys, but also such SPECIAL  objects
as the altogether boy and the
one-at-a-time  boy."

"The altogether boy satisfies a
given  predicate 'boy',  just in case
every nonspecial item associated
with the  special  altogether boy
satisfies the predicate in question."

"The   one-at-a-time boy satisfies
a given predicate 'boy' just in
case  AT  LEAST ONE of the associated
nonspecial objects associated with  that
special object satisfies the predicate in question".

The  altogether  boy is smart just in case EVERY individual boy is  smart.

The  one-at-a-time boy is smart just in case at least one  individual boy
is
smart.

"We can take this pair of statements about  special boys ('the
one-at-a-time boy' and 'the altogether boy') as  providing with the logical
form  of the
assertion that some boy is  smart and the statement that all boys are
smart".

"This  apparatus", Grice notes, "as it stands, will not be  adequate to
provide a comprehensive treatment of quantification."

We   need "to be able to cope with the well-known examples arising from
features  of  multiple quantification".

One then sees why Grice never spent  much time  with (x) and (Ex) which he
does list in the opening sentence  of "Logic and  Conversation" as
providing
the logical form for 'all'  and 'some' (Never mind  'the').

Grice goes on: we need a System that  "will deliver for us  distinct
logical
forms for the two notorious  readings of "Every girl detests  some boy"".

"In one reading,"  Grice writes, "the universal  quantifier, 'every girl',
is dominant  with respect to scope."

"In the  other reading, it is the  existential quantifier which is
dominant".

In  the first reading,  "we attribute a property to the altogether girl."
In
the  second  reading, "we attribute a property to the one-at-a-time   boy".

"Exportation WILL affect truth-value when it is applied to   sentences
about
special objects like the altogether girl and the  one-at-a-time  boy".

Grice considers an objection: "Some may find  these objects -- the
altogether girl and the one-at-a-time boy as  metaphysically  disreputable."

Not me.

-- i.e., in logical  form (or better  'symbols'): "Not I".

Grice says, we are looking for  "a subject-predicate  account of
quantification".

Grice then  goes on to propose the account of  ontological correlates in
terms of  "at least a second order" set  theory.

Grice goes on:

"A  dozen years or so ago, I devoted a good  deal
of time to this proposal,  and I convinced
myself that it offered a  powerful instrument
which  was capable of handing not only
indefinitely  long sequences of mixed  quantificational
phrases, but also some other less  obviously  tractable
problems."

--- such as, "Where is my   hat?"

---

Grice goes on:

"As I envisage it, a  proposition  will be regarded as a family of
propositional  complexes".

"Now, the  propositional complex directly associated  with

----- Some boys are  smart.

"will be both logically  equivalent -- yet numerically distinct  from the
propositional  complex

----- Not every boy is not  smart.

".

Grice  goes on: "Indeed, for any given propositional  complex there will be

indefinitely many propositional complexes, which are both  logically
equivalent and also numerically distinct from the original   complex."

---- And so on.

Cheers,
Speranza