[lit-ideas] Re: Terrorist Language

  • From: Brian <cabrian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 12:48:45 -0600

Mike,

There has not been broad consensus about what label to use but Islamist has been used most often so that is the default, yet Jihadi is more precise. This is one of the main problems of Western scholarship concerning counterterrorism: the failure to identify the underlying ideologies of our enemies. In the Militant Ideology Atlas they define four constituencies of the Jihadi movement (Muslims, Islamists, Salafis and Jihadis) and they describe Islamists as "people who want Islamic law to be the primary source of law and cultural identity in a state. They differ over the meaning of this objective and the means of achieving it. Among Sunnis (the vast majority of the worlds Muslims), the Muslim Brotherhood is the most influential group in the Islamist constituency..." And Jihadis are "the holy warriors and todays most prominent terrorists, whose movement is part of the larger Salafi Movement (but note that most Salafis are not Jihadis). Since Jihadi thinkers draw their legitimacy from the same tradition as Salafis, Salafi scholars--particularly Saudi clerics--are best positioned to discredit the movement among other Salafis."

One thing the authors recommend is dealing with the poverty of language by labeling the Jihadi movement Qutbism after the most cited Jihadi theorist, Sayyid Qutb. This would help Muslim opponents of the Jihadis and also distance ourselves from potentially offensive words. This is along the same lines as my post about robbing the terrorists of their language and not using words like mujahideen and jihad because those carry positive connotations for those groups labeling themselves that. I have my quibbles with the Atlas document but I'm curious, what word or phrase do you prefer, Mike, for labeling Islamic terrorists?

Brian

On Jan 3, 2007, at 10:02 PM, Mike Geary wrote:

Are you using the word 'Islamist' as a synonym for 'terrorist'... If so, you're being extremely sloppy and bringing these attacks down on himself. An Islamist is not, by definition, a terrorist.