[lit-ideas] Re: Terrorism's "limited results"

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 20:36:28 -0500

Why have radical Islamic cells taken up arms against the West?  The first
thing I'd ask is "Have they?"  But let's assume that the mission of groups
such as al-Qaeda, and the Muslim Brotherhood and others want the destruction
of Western Civilization.  Why?  Is it Christianity they hate so?  Are they
driven by Muslim evangelicalism?  Why not war against Buddhism and Hinduism
and Shintoism, and Jainism and  Taoism and Animism as well -- they're even
more alien to Islam than any Western Civilization religion.  At least we all
share the same progenitor.  What do Muslims care if we all go to hell?
About as much as Pat "show me the money" Robertson does.So, unless I'm wrong
and this is just a family squabble, I think we can rule out religion as a
casus belli.  What then?  A culture war?  That makes more sense to me.  Is
there a history of antagonism between Muslim cultures and Western?  Even I
know there has been.  Most especially during the Middle Ages.  There was
much conflict between us then -- Crusade-type conflict.   But there has been
just as much conflict with everyone from the days that Homer sang of through
the Middle Ages up until yesterday.  I'm going to leave that question to the
historians of war to fight over.  My guess is yes, that it's all about penis
size.

Mike Geary
Memphis