[lit-ideas] Re: TLP1: Elements and their relations in giving the sense of 'p'

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 15:40:15 -0800

Donal has some worries about an earlier discussion.

'This post takes up some points discussed last year and may suffer from memory lapses since some of this is ‘afair’. Delay in replying is partly because, reading the ‘TLP’, I can understand why Frege sought more and more clarifications because “the content is too unclear to me”. (Un)fortunately, I am past the stage where I assume this is my fault and tend to suppose it is the writer’s. ...

'... A key dispute is whether, as Phil Enns claimed [affair], W’s TLP offers the view that the sense of a proposition is determined only by the relations between the elements of the proposition; or whether, as I maintain(ed), the sense of ‘p’ also depends on the character or content of the elements.'

If this is what Phil claimed, then he was mistaken in claiming it. The sense of a proposition is, roughly, what would be the case if it were true. (False sentence have a sense; their falsity could not be determined otherwise.) As Wittgenstein nowhere puts it exactly this way, let me try to explain. The sense of a sentence could not be determined entirely by 'the relations' between the elements of a proposition, for there is nothing in the mere 'relations' among its elements to give a proposition its—necessary—determinate sense.

A proposition, as we know by now, is a picture, and apparently it's a picture in a non-metaphorical sense. It isn't merely 'like' a picture: it is one. As a picture, it depicts 'how things are,' and in order to do this its elements must reach right down to the world in such a way that if there are precisely as many elements in the picture as there are in the world—in a state of affairs—and if the elements of the picture are able to pick out—to 'touch'—the elements of the state of affairs, with nothing left out and nothing left over, it depicts 'the world' correctly, and the proposition is true. One way of understanding how a false proposition can have a sense is to imagine what would be the case if things in the world were disposed exactly as they are depicted by it. We cannot imagine illogical things: thoughts have the same logical and pictorial form as propositions.

'There are griffins gamboling on the quad,' has sense. 'There are quad gamboling,' hasn't.

Donal continues

'If the former view is correct it would appear that the sense of ‘The cat is on the mat’ is the same as the sense of "The mat is on the
cat" '.

I don't see why Phil would be forced to this odd conclusion. Without getting all flustered about what he means (I trust Donal's interpretation of Phil), it seems to me that as a famous philosopher once said, 'this conclusion is in nowise necessary.' The relation here is 'on.'; it holds between the cat and the mat. 'On' is not a symmetrical relation. The grammatical order of the sentence shows which thing is on another thing. I really don't understand this criticism of Phil. Mine was only that his alleged view was incomplete.

Donal explains

'... on the latter view, these propositions have quite different senses because while the relation between the elements of both ‘p’s is that one is “on” the other, the character of the objects so related are switched. On the latter view, ‘The dog is on the mat’ has a different sense to ‘The cat is on the mat’ because, crucially, the character of one of the elements of these ‘p’s has changed – and that is enough to change their sense.'

To say that the 'character' of the elements of a proposition in this case have changed because in one case a dog is named and in the other, a cat, is unilluminating, insofar as the elements of a proposition are fundamentally names. They're not the ultimately simple names, whose winkling out is the goal of 'complete' analysis, but as ordinary language is perfectly in order just as it is, they'll do.

Donal continues

'The latter view might appear to be supported by 3.25: “A proposition has one and only one complete analysis.”. The particularity of the unique sense of ‘p’ cannot be obtained merely by analysing the relations it asserts nor merely the “elements” it asserts, since these relations and “elements” may separately feature in other ‘p’s, and so neither those relations nor the elements are by themselves sufficient to give the sense of ‘p’.'

This is, I think, a solution looking for a problem. Donal's unified theory of sense points out only that pictures have elements in certain relations—pictorial and logical relations—to one another. And this is true, as far as it goes. Nevertheless, a proposition does not 'assert' its 'elements,' anymore than it 'asserts' the relations between them.

The requirement for the 'complete analysis of a proposition' is that if there were no such thing, propositions would never 'make contact with' the objects which make up the substance of the world. A completely analyzed proposition is one in which names, genuine names, which pick out logically simple objects stand in immediate combination.

Wittgenstein never gave an account of what such ultimately simple objects were. And a good thing, too.

Thanks to Donal for waking me up, but I must rest some more.

Robert Paul,
waiting for something,
somewhere south of Reed College