[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Poem (including geary)/whisky

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 12:14:12 -0800

On Jan 14, 2007, at 2:31 PM, Lawrence Helm wrote:

<x-tad-bigger>It has been whispered that David Ritchie didn’t locate the Islamic Allah in his bar for fear of a fatwa issued by the mullah of the Portland Mosque.  Surely not, I whispered back.  Everyone knows Allah doesn’t drink.</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>
</x-tad-bigger>

Thanks to John, Mike and Lawrence for your comments.

I could try on a line about the Shinto fellow I imagined being some kind of exceptional god, or the pub being all out of rice wine, but actually I was just plain wrong. Thanks for pointing this out.

There were in fact words about Allah, who had sent along a rather lost-looking ecumenical relations and liasons representative, but these did not make the final cut.

While on the subject of pubs and whisky...I have a feeling that Walter ignores everything I write, but in case he happens to be listening here, I'll mention that the Wall Street Journal agreed that one of the two best American-made single malts is the one I recommended, McCarthy's, made right here in Urgun. Forty dollars a bottle. It's a rendition of Lagavulin, using the same heavily peated barley. "The result is a whiskey even smokier than the template, but with a jammy sweetness too. You could describe it as odd or interesting, depending on whether you like it. I would describe it as interesting, and a worthy homage."

WSJ Pursuits, 1/13/07

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon