[lit-ideas] Re: St. Andrew's Speech

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 11:54:48 -0800

On Nov 30, 2008, at 11:45 AM, wokshevs@xxxxxx wrote:
 Exactly what do you all
do the toasting WITH? Perchance a touch of the Highlands, dare we say? Or arre ye all more of the Skye perrsuasion? Surely not the Lo'lands. We're not Brrritish after all, even if God chose to give us a boundarry with them
people.

Vladsimir Mihailovitch Gavrilov Okshevsky
First Bagpipe Player
Soviet and Scots Army Chorus and Band

You have touched a raw or sore point. In prior years there have been whisky tastings associated with the dinner, for FREE, which of course draws in the Scots. Not so, this year alas. The only hooch I touched--being in charge of an event does take some of the wildness out of it--was what they handed me when I toasted the haggis and that, horror of horrors, though a single malt, had to be dispatched (or so the piper said) in one gulp and without benefit of water.

Slan-ge-vah, or as it's written, "slainte." Maybe there'll be occasion for a drop this evening.

David Ritchie,
celebrating the many lands which honor St. Andrew, Russia clearly among the foremost