[lit-ideas] Re: Speaking of Puccini ....

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 16:53:49 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Thu, 21/8/08, Richard Henninge <RichardHenninge@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Richard Henninge <RichardHenninge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Speaking of Puccini ....
> To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Thursday, 21 August, 2008, 1:07 AM
> Then, of course, there's Nessun Dorma, the
> quintessential tenor aria.
> Youtube the Paul Potts version just to get started.

"You tube" is what Paul Potts would have been called thirty years ago.

'Let Us Snore Now' has long been a staple of football progs in 'Team GB' (as we
now call it) and slightly tarnished as a result (cp. when youngsters of my
generation were played Bach's 'Air On A G String' they immediately imitated
lighting up Panatella cigars).

> And while you're at it, join me and a very select group
> of isolated
> individuals in celebrating the eighth minute after eight
> o'clock today.

I'm thinking at least Jimmy Jones gathered together his "very select group
of isolated individuals" before celebrating their demise.

>On
> digital displays in Europe, that moment will be (or was)
> 20.08 20.08 2008.

Gee. (Actually, digital displays don't in my experience contain anything more
than the twenty-four hour clock, people generally not needing to check what
year it is and stuff).

> Next year we'll be celebrating 8:09 pm a month later.

I can't wait for 20.13 to put a stop to this nonsense.

Donal
Exhausted from the 19.01-19.12 celebrations of my youth and insanely jealous of
those who had digital displays in this period