[lit-ideas] Re: SoS-Chapter 2, Moral Frameworks

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 07:49:21 -0700 (PDT)

--- Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing a lot, but I keep waiting for
> Taylor to say something new.  The framework, ie, the
> value system wherein or whereby we find our
> self-identity is nothing more than the world we're
> born into -- or so I take it.  It seems no different
> than the Heideggerian always-already world from
> which and in which and through which we interpret
> the world and ourselves.  Apostasy is a rare
> occurrence among human beings.

*Taylor's view sounds to me like someone who has spent
his whole life in a stable country like Canada, and
hasn't moved much. In places where social conditions,
regimes, ideologies, borders, even states change more
frequently, it is much more difficult to locate that
stable framework within which you were formed and
within which you happily take stances on things. (Not
to mention that Taylor' terms sound very academic;
most people define themselves through subjective
preferences, i.e. what I like and what I don't like,
rather than "what is good, what I endorse and what I
oppose" and so on) The things are further complicated
if you have changed several geographical locations. I
am sorry but I can't help looking a bit from the above
at Taylor's equating of identity with the current
physical-political-cultural space.

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com