[lit-ideas] Re: Ruth Barcan Marcus 1921-2012

  • From: "Adriano Palma" <Palma@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 19:57:33 +0200

** Low Priority **
** Reply Requested by 3/16/2012 (Friday) **

the Barcan formula is a theorem, it is impossible to detect what your
"objection" is supposed to be
best wishes

>>> Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx> 3/16/2012 7:41 PM >>>
'Under her formula, “the second one entails the first one,” Professor
Neale explained. “That is, if all humans are necessarily mortal, then
necessarily, all humans are mortal.”'

The debate continues. (Though I think this claim is wrong: if all
actual humans must die it does not necessarily follow that all possible
humans must die. Surely (unless we deem all actual humans to exhaust the
category of all possible humans)?)

Though I noticed no one was arguing that today is Saturday.

Donal
London