[lit-ideas] Rumsfeld the Iconoclast

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 23:43:39 -0500

Here's something you won't hear much about, because Rumsfeld is one of those guys you are just supposed to automatically despise. But listen to this for a few sentences, and ask yourself whether you are the unwitting dupe of arms merchants' propaganda.

1) Rumsfeld appointed a Marine as head of the NATO delegation. Unheard of! That was the Army's sinecure. Nobody ever appointed a Marine to that position. But Rumsfeld essentially thought, "This guy wants to kill the enemy. He's the one I want." An enormous slap in the face for the Army and its slush-fund Senate hog trough.

2) All the military-industrial stooges have pet projects that are being paid big money under the table to promote. One of these was the Crusader Mobile Howitzer. Absolutely useless for future wars. Rumsfeld killed it. It was revived under Democrat and Republican Senate bills, since all these guys feed at the same trough. Rumsfeld made sure it was killed again. They tried once more, slip it past everybody in a clause. Rumsfeld knocked it down.

3) When Rumsfeld had to appoint a new head of the Joint Chiefs, he pulled a guy out of retirement to do it, bypassing all the Army, Navy, and Air Force guys who were waiting to try their pet projects and get their lobbyists in the catbird seat. He picked somebody with fewer military-industrial lobbying ties and appointed him.

Of course Rumsfeld is the Devil's assistant, as I'm sure many of you believe. But if you look at what he's actually doing to procurement, he's screwing up all the vendors of useless weapons and appointing less corrupt people to high posts. Strange how the Devil's helper seems to be doing good.

When I read about things like this, I am convinced we are so systematically lied to about defense that it's only natural Rumsfeld will be vilified. He's stepping on too many powerful people's toes, people who have the money to make you think Rumsfeld is incompetent.

So what to believe? Good question, eh?

Momentarily Canadian,
Eric