[lit-ideas] Re: Roles...

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 23:29:58 EDT

Hello  ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
In reference to your  comment:

The maid of honor wears the grooms ring  on her  thumb (or
carries it in some other safe manner) until it is  time  for  the
blessing and exchange of rings in the  ceremony

At my Aunt's wedding I was the flower girl (I was very young) and my  little
brother (4, maybe?) was the "ring-bearer" -- he carried the ring forward  on a
velvet pillow affair.  What happened to ring-bearers as opposed to  bride's
maids carrying the ring?

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Roles...  Date:
6/16/06 4:01:27 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From: _ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Jun 16, 2006, at 11:33 AM, Erin Holder  wrote:

> Uh, anyone know what being a maid of honour entails?  I  sure as hell
> don't...
>

> Erin
>  Toronto
>  ------------------------------------------------------------------
> To  change your Lit-Ideas settings (subscribe/unsub, vacation on/off,
> digest  on/off), visit www.andreas.com/faq-lit-ideas.html

Looks like  you'll be both busy!

Before  the Wedding: The maid of Honor may  plan your wedding and  take
care of details for you. If she lives  nearby she might help  address
invitations, plan pre-wedding  parties, make favors or table
decorations,  and keep track of gifts  received and thank you cards
sent. The  maid of honor usually hosts a  bridal shower. The bride can
delegate  care  of bridesmaid's  fittings and details. She attends
pre-wedding parties.  She attends the  rehearsal and the rehearsal
dinner.

At  the Wedding: The maid of  honor helps the bride with dressing and
assists with  the, train, veil  and holding the brides bouquet  during
the ceremony. The maid of  honor wears the grooms ring on her  thumb (or
carries it in some other  safe manner) until it is time  for  the
blessing and exchange of  rings in the ceremony. She is responsible  for
having an emergency kit  with miscellaneous items such as  a needle  and
thread, extra  nylons, a roll of tape etc. The maid of honor  holds on
to a duplicate  list of desired shots for the photographer  and
videographer as  well as a song list for ceremony musicians and  a copy
of any  special  prayers or readings to be used during the ceremony. She
walks  in front of the bride in the processional and with the best man
in  the recessional  and stands near the bride at the altar. She  makes
sure that all  of the bride's clothing, make-up and personal  belongings
are  removed from the changing room at the ceremony site and  taken back
to the  bride's  home. She helps to line up  bridesmaids for formal
photographs.

At  the Reception: The maid  of Honor stands  next to the groom in very
formal receiving lines. The  maid  of honor is seated at the head table
or table of honor.  During the reception, she mingles with guest. She
dances with the best  man at the reception. She helps the bride  with
her train,  fastening it to floor length so it is out of the  way for
dancing, if  necessary. A duplicate copy of the list of  names and
pronunciations for the bridal party announcements is kept by  the maid
of honor. She also keeps a duplicate song list for the  reception
musicians  or disc jockey. If the bride needs assistance in tossing her
bouquet or in gathering single women to catch it, the maid of   honor
can  help out. If requested, she helps the bride dress for the  honey
moon and  makes sure the bridal gown and other personal  clothing items
are returned to the bride's home after the reception.  She takes  the
bridal bouquet  for preserving and may take  the gown for heir looming
while the  bride is on her  honeymoon.

Expenses: The maid or matron of honor pays for her own dress  and other
attire. If travel expenses are involved, she pays for   her  own dress
and other attire. Although she may attend several  pre-wedding  parties,
only one shower gift and one wedding gift are to  be  expected. She  may
share the cost of bridal  shower.

Some sites say that you'll be offering a toast, which you  have written
at least three weeks beforehand and which reflects your own  STYLE.
This, I'd like to hear.

On the subject of quotations  see:

http://www.theknot.com/ch_article.html?Object=A00523170823

Pick  something really heavy from your favorite philosopher, is my
advice.   Remind the Scots present that the Enlightenment is something
they started  and then have at them with your favorite Germans.  Scots
are very fond  of Germans.  Particularly their caber-tossing
philosophers.   Flinging things is the local way of encouraging a
speaker, but if someone  hurls a caber your way, be sure to duck.

David Ritchie,
Portland,  Oregon