[lit-ideas] Re: Reeve's Implicature (to Winfrey)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:06:57 EDT

We are analysing Christopher Reeve's implicature in the little conversation
with Oprah Winfrey:

   WINFREY: So ... You think it's possible you will walk again,  then?
   REEVE: Actually, I think it's *very* possible I will walk  again.
   WINFREY: And what would happen if you won't?
   REEVE (bluntly): Then I won't walk again.

P. A Stone suggest the implicature is:

>>"I'm saying I can walk again
>>to give all spine-injured people hope.
>>I don't *really* think I will; but I might
>>as well do the best I can with what
>>I've got.

Right. Now the question is how you derive that implicature out of Grice's
conversational maxims!

There are tricky issues here in that if 'if' is truth-functional, then the
addition of the particle 'then' (as in Reeve's reply, "_Then_ I won't walk
again") may turn the operation non-truth-functional.

We should also consider whether 'when' is equivalent to 'if'.

I agree with Paul that "I might as well do the best I can with what I've
got."

In his _Pragmatics_ (Cambridge Textbooks in Linguistics, paperback) S. C.
Levinson considers the implicature of

    A: I miss John. Do you think he'll come to the  party?
    B: Either he will or he won't.

Levinson suggests the implicature is

       +> There's nothing we can do about  it.

The logical form of B's utterance is slightly different (it's a tautologous
disjunction, to use Geary's parlance). In the case of Reeve's utterance it
concerns what Aristotelians would have as a 'contingent future'. And there's no

'or' involved. Only cancellation of possibility, as expressed by arrogant
Oprah.

Cheers,

JL