[lit-ideas] "Reading Lolita in Tehran" - "Reading Ricoeur in Manhattan"

  • From: Scribe1865@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:50:56 EDT

John quotes John: "Telling a story, or listening to a story, gives structure
to time, and that's what life really is: Time."
A gee-whiz note rather than an explication. One reason I am so negligent in
finishing _Reading Lolita in Teheran_ is that I am also very slowly, pencil and
notebook in hand, plodding through Paul Ricoeur's _Time and Narrative_, now
volume two, where he compares the time of plot to the time of history.

Ricoeur's is one of those remarkable minds a reader can luxuriate in, like
Kenneth Burke's. Was quite surprised to learn (after reading the foreword to
_Oneself as Another_) that he is Christian.