[lit-ideas] Ratio Essendi

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 12:55:07 EDT

and other.

In a message dated 9/3/2004 11:44:38 AM Eastern Standard Time, pas@xxxxxxxx
writes:
ratio  essendi (reason d'etre) and
>ratio
>cognoscendi (reason de  connaitre) -- reason to be and reason to know or
>believe.
>This  dichotomy seems artificial to me: why not reason to _love_, too,
reason
>to  sing, reason to act (ratio agendi) ...

You are  once again misled by Google. the dichotomy is  synthetic.

----

Synthetic, and, for the OED, trichotomic. Quotes below.

Cheers,

JL

----

"ratio". In Philos. ratio cognoscendi, that in virtue of which knowledge  of
something is possible; that in virtue of which something is known to exist;
ratio decidendi (pl. rationes decidendi), rationale of judgment; a principle
underlying and determining a judicial decision; ratio essendi, existendi,  that
in virtue of which something  exists.

1830 W.  HAMILTON in Edin. Rev. LII. 178

The existence of  external things, which is given only through their
intuition, it admits;  the intuition itself, though the ratio cognoscendi, and
to us
therefore the ratio essendi of their reality, it rejects.

1862 in C. CLARK  House of Lords Cases VIII. 392

The observations  made by Members of the House, whether law Members or lay
Members beyond the  ratio decidendi which is propounded and acted upon in
giving
judgment,  although they may be entitled to respect, are only to be followed
in as far as  they may be considered agreeable to sound reason and to prior
authorities.

1865 S. H. HODGSON Times &  Space vii. 488

Now both the cause,  or ratio existendi, and the reason, or ratio
cognoscendi, in every particular  case must be given by actual experience.

1877 Law Rep.  Exchequer Division II. 233

The ratio decidendi  in these cases does not appear in the reports.

1890 W. JAMES Princ.  Psychol. I. x. 337

But if the brand is  the ratio cognoscendi of the belonging, the belonging,
in the case of the  herd, is in turn the ratio existendi of the brand.

1902 J. W. SALMOND Jurisprudence viii. 176

A precedent,  therefore, is a judicial decision which contains in itself a
principle. The  underlying principle which thus forms its authoritative element
is often termed  the ratio decidendi.

1903 G. E. MOORE  Principia Ethica iv. 127

Kant..admits that  Freedom is the ratio essendi of the Moral Law, whereas the
latter is only  ratio cognoscendi of Freedom.

1923 C. D. BROAD Sci. Thought viii. 267

Sensa are..in some  way the ratio cognoscendi of the physical world, whilst
the physical  world is..the ratio essendi of sensa.

1948 Law Q.  Rev. LXIV. 463

The court is always  at liberty to propound alternative rules of law, each of
which it may elevate to  the status of a ratio decidendi.

1970  Internat. & Compar. Law Q. XIX. I. 37

Which of these  rationes decidendi possesses binding force?

1972  Evangelical Q. XLIV. 241

These activities  compose the ratio cognoscendi of the pardoning grace of
God; they make us  aware of God's activity which is the ratio essendi that
calls
forth man's  response.

1977 Law Q.  Rev. XCIII. 378 The importance of the ratio  decidendi is that
it is the rule of law for which a case is authority.