[lit-ideas] "Bobcat for hire"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 12:49:38 EDT

In a message dated 9/3/2004 12:06:37 PM Eastern Standard Time, pas@xxxxxxxx
writes:
As I was  driving me ole mum to swimming yesterday, I saw a sign by the road
that  said "Bobcat for Hire". Mother casually said "I wonder what it eats."
-- a  bobcat is a very small front-end loader used for digging small
holes,  clearing sidewalks etc.

----

Well, the literal 'bobcat' (lynx rufus) certainly eats _meat_ (usually  hens)
-- but this may be a triained one. One wonders why they would only just
_hire_ her. I suppose just for the vacation time. Oddly, the OED entry does
not
mention the odd 'loader' _usage_ Stone oddly mentions. -- Maybe he should
_mailto:oed3@xxxxxxxxxx (mailto:oed3@xxxxxxxxx) .

Cheers,

JL

bobcat -- from BOB n.1 5, in allusion to the short  tail. -- The bay lynx,
Lynx rufus, a small North American  lynx with a spotted reddish-brown coat.
Also
 transf.

1888 R.  ROOSEVELT  in Century  Mag. Mar. 656

We also keep hens,  which, in spite of the damaging inroads of hawks,
bob~cats, and foxes, supply us  with eggs.

1906  Springfield Weekly Republ. 20 June 2

The creation of this  new commonwealth on virgin soil, where for centuries
the wolves, bob-cats and  Indians had leisurely roamed.

1911 O. WISTER Members of  Family vii. 250, I came for a box of matches, y'u
bawlin'  bobcat.