[lit-ideas] Re: Quick German Question (Vermutlich und Wahrscheinlich) [pa...

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 00:28:27 EST

Great.  Now I'm spending the night trying to figure out the difference
between "supposedly" and "apparently".  Well, there is an apparent  difference,
suppose.  I apparently saw the tiger.  I supposedly saw  the tiger.  It's a
matter of perspective.  "apparently" is from my  perspective.  "supposedly" is
from a third-person's.  To me it is  apparent.  To them it is supposed.
Apparently there will be Christmas  gifts wrapped and a wonderful meal.
Supposedly
there will be Christmas  gifts wrapped and a wonderful meal.

You're right.

It makes a difference.

Julie Krueger