[lit-ideas] Re: Quick German Question (Vermutlich und Wahrscheinlich) [pa...

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 00:32:34 EST

Apparently, is almost sighted.  Supposed is suspected.
========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Quick German
Question (Vermutlich und  Wahrscheinlich) [part II]  Date: 12/17/04 11:29:55
P.M.
Central Standard Time  From: _erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Sent on:
> if i think of situations, i'd use  wahrscheinlich if it's something that
one can see.
> wahrscheinlich,  that's a mountain lion in that tree.
>
> i'd use vermutlich if i'm  talking about a situation. vermutlich, Robert is
just copying
> stuff  from the web.

I understand what you're getting at but I still don't see  the distinction.
So the former is for things you can see and the latter is  for situations,
but can't you also see situations - e.g. isn't the mountain  lion stuck in
the tree a situation?  Or are the two just used  differently depending on
whether one can see the situation or not - e.g. one  would use
'wahrscheinlich' if it was a situation one could see (in which case  I'm
guessing it would be rarely used) and then 'vermutlich' if it were  a
situation one could not see?  That seems almost crazy.  But okay,  It's 5am.
I have patience.  Really, I  do.

Erin