[lit-ideas] Popper's Paradox (Was: Popper's Contradiction)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:18:10 EDT

In a message dated 8/25/2004 6:11:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Unfortunately JL is not specific enough as to what exactly the  problems are
and how they give rise to a paradox.
Is this another of  JL's profound paradoxes? If so, I remain at a loss.

-----

Okay, what I was trying to say is that the whole enterprise of Popper
collapses. There he is teaching 'hypothetico-deductive methodology' as _the_
criterion (in his lectures as chair of Scientific Method, as LSE). And
concluding
that _that_ method does _not_ give a criterion of what science is. No  wonder
Feyerabend came along with his "anything goes". The sad thing is that it  took
Popper like 50 years to realise that his enterprise (of finding a  demarcation
for science) was doomed to fail.

Cheers,

JL