[lit-ideas] Popperian and Griceian Rationality

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 20:11:37 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 6/28/2013 10:47:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
"It is only fair to note that this possible  criticism is of a possible
tendency in Popper’s thought, and that Popper’s view  of the role of
rationality in human knowledge is more sophisticated than the  criticism might
suggest."

Interestingly that D. McEvoy should mention  Popper on reason, which was of
course a pet topic with Grice (his John Locke  lectures, "Aspects of reason
and reasoning"). Oddly, I was recently humming a  song that relates, in ps.

Cheers,

Speranza

* It was a  favourite in Kunz's medleys.
---
1956
Kunz

Benny Davis and Ted Murry
published by Campbell, Connelly, and Co., Denmark Street, London.
-- as featured and broadcast by Dickie Valentine.

There must be a reason for raindrops to fall.
There must be a reason  why mountains are tall.
And why are the stars in the sky?
There must be a  reason why.

There must be a reason for rivers to flow.
For beautiful  trees and flowers to grow.
And why have the birds wings to fly?
There must  be a reason why.

The changes from season to season,
The dawning that  brings the new day.
These wonders mist all have a reason,
It was intended  that way.

There must be a reason for falling in love,
It must have  been planned up in Heaven above.
And why are we so much in love, you and  I?