[lit-ideas] Popperian and Griceian Instrumentalism

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 20:07:05 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 6/28/2013 10:47:28 A.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
it may tend – at  least as Popper presents it – to over-assimilate
artistic content to the kinds  of propositional content that lie at the basis
of
mathematics and science. And  such criticism might be part of a more general
criticism that Popper in his  theory of knowledge tends to over-assimilate
all knowledge to some kind of  rational model of trial-and-error and critical
feedback:- for example, while  Popper sees rationality as central to
morality, even if we accept that rational  consciousness is a precondition for
exercising a moral conscience, nevertheless  rationality may not be very
central
to what constitutes our moral sense. In a  similar vein, we might accept
that some kind of rational consciousness plays a  role in artistic creation
(though a role perhaps more tenuous that its role in  moral thought), yet
rationality may not be central to the value of art – or at  least not central
all art, and not central to all the most valuable art, and  perhaps not
central to nearly all the most valuable art. It is only fair to note  that this
possible criticism is of a possible tendency in Popper’s thought, and  that
Popper’s view of the role of rationality in human knowledge

I think I have quoted Catherine Lord's essay on Griceanism -- a type of
instrumentalism; as published in the British Journal of Aesthetics -- where
art  theory belongs.

On the other hand, it may do to doublecheck keywords like
POPPER/aesthetics.

It seems Popper leaves 'intention' quite out of the picture, here. --
unlike of course Grice.

More perhaps, later,

Cheers,

Speranza