[lit-ideas] Re: Pfaff on Fukuyama's Utopia

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 12:32:03 +0000 (GMT)

________________________________
 From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>

>Credit where credit is due: That turkey is from Nassim Nicholas Taleb.

That was a black swan (though, and especially at this time of year,
unscrupulous types may have been passing this off as a reverse-albino
long-necked turkey). It was Russell who used that turkey who is strangled as a
sign of the dangers of inductivism; though he did not mention Thanksgiving in
his analogy, it was otherwise the same.

What Russell made of Popper's non-inductivist epistemology is, genuinely,
something of a mystery and an interesting one - at least to me. He more or less
sided with Popper against Wittgenstein in the pokers-at-dawn incident at the
Moral Sciences Club and wrote very favourably about The Open Society. But I do
not know what he made of Popper's non-inductivist account of science and, if he
dissented, why. It may be he had more or less given up on the whole topic by
the time Popper's work was there for consideration. Though they did meet and
indeed Popper wished to dedicate his Postscript to The Logic of Scientific
Discovery to Russell. In fact, the squabble between Popper and Wittgenstein can
be seen as one between heirs apparent to Russell's approach to philosophy.
Answers on a postcard to:-

Donal McEvoy
Foggy London Town