[lit-ideas] Re: Pew Internet Report on Instant Messaging (IM)

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 20:42:01 EDT

<<their teenage  daughter was ON her cellphone talking to
the same person she was  IMing.>>

Thank God it's not just *my* daughter!

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Pew Internet
Report on Instant Messaging  (IM)  Date: 9/9/04 3:43:53 PM Central Daylight
Time
From: _pas@xxxxxxxxx (mailto:pas@xxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
At 04:28 PM 9/9/2004, you wrote:
>I mean,  hell, you don't think friends actually pick up a phone and CALL
each
>other any more, do you?

Teenagers have taken it to  a(whole)nother level. The other day I was at
some relatives and their  teenage daughter was ON her cellphone talking to
the same person she was  IMing. And I thought my sister was crazy when she
was buried in her room 20  years ago talking endlessly. Now, not only can
people frivolously have  conversations, they can send the latest songs,
pics, dirty jokes, info,  school projects, etc. over their computers and get
instant feedback in two  simultaneous media. YIKES! It's overload.

paul