[lit-ideas] Re: Passion and "the Arab world"

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 08:56:56 -0700 (PDT)

--- Scribe1865@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Daylight Time,
> omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx writes:
> But I don't see how this could be taken to
> excuse the crime or to suggest that it never
> happened.
> In the Christian version of events, Jesus himself
> asks God to forgive the
> people who killed him, on the grounds that they
> didn't know what they were doing.

*Right. The Kuranic reference, though, is to some
people - not necessarily the same ones who committed
the killing - who seem to understand the nature of the
crime and take pride in it.

> So Jesus himself seeks to excuse the crime.
> Readings of Christ's death (Paradise Lost, for
> example) further gloss the
> matter by framing the death of Jesus as an essential
> part of God's plan for
> saving humanity from Satan. It is seen as a
> necessary sacrifice of atonement and
> fulfillment of prophecies.

*I would think that this serves the purpose of
explaining why God allowed it to happen rather than
excusing the killers, who surely could not have been
have privy to this plan.

O.K.