[lit-ideas] Paranoia

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 21:52:44 EST

Here's the paranoia-inducing e-mail I promised you, as I have no idea how
many of the Lit-id posts you read.  Btw, Andreas (runner of the list-serve)  is
one of the uber-cyber-gurus of the world.  He knows all.  Anything  he says
re. computers I trust implicitly.  His website e-mail is well  worth
subscribing
to (he even has advice re. skin care, pass it on to Barb,  funky recipes,
business tips and news, etc.  Eclectic is his middle  name).  Anything he says
about politics I merely tend to agree with.   Most would consider him a
wild-eyed liberal conspiracy theorist.  He's  incredibly well-traveled at the
best
moments -- was there to see the Berlin wall  coming down, e.g.  Check out his
journal of e-mails from his wife, dying  from an incurable disease after an
organ
transplant.  In a way he is much  like you -- a spiritual secularist,
self-avowed cynic because mysticism is just  too close to the bone.

Julie
========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] ISPs are blocking
outgoing email  Date: 2/3/05 8:30:22 P.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_andreas@xxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
SBC and Verizon, along with other large ISPs, got  the bright idea to block
port 25 for all
outgoing email to servers other  than their own.

If you are using SBC or Verizon DSL and you notice that  you can't send
email, this is the
problem. Don't waste time by calling their  tech support; they're clueless on
this one.

There are two  solutions:

1) Temporary Solution: Switch your outgoing SMTP server from  whatever you're
using
(smtp.whatever.com) to SBC's smtp server  (smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com). Open
your email, select
the account, and modify  its properties. Checkmark the "My server requires
authentication"
and click  Settings. Enter your SBC account name (for example,
hillaryclinton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  )
and your SBC password, and click Remember Settings.

If you have  several computers on servers on the DSL line, just use the same
account name and
password for all of them.

2) Better Solution (but takes longer) if  you use SBC: Go to
http://help.sbcglobal.net/servabuse.php and select Abuse  Type = "**Opt Out
25" and type
"Please let me opt out of Port 25 blocking."  In 12 hours or so (or longer),
SBC will unblock
their blocking of your Port  25.

Hang on to this email. The ISPs are s slowly blocking this through  their
service areas. If
you notice that you can't send email, this info will  solve your problem.

If you use SBC or Verizon and you haven't been  blocked yet, we suggest that
you go ahead and
request to opt out of their  blocking. Otherwise, they will block your email
and it will take
a day or  two for them to unblock it.

Pass this on to your friends, colleagues, and  other  lists.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com