[lit-ideas] Re: Our Superficial Scholars

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 20:11:00 -0800

I'm not quite sure what you think, given that, should be done. Phasing out humanities departments? Giving the Sophists equal time with Plato? Requiring historians to learn a useful trade? If the question is, what to do with classics, state legislatures have already answered it.

Robert Paul

John:

Of course not. But those who teach wisdom must eat, and those who support them consider the practicalities involved.

Tor:

    Whenever I meet someone who takes the effort to argue against
    outcomes based education I am happy and a tad bit surprised as
    those who take that position are threatened with extinction. No
    offense, John, but arguing /for/ OBE is common and simple. Wisdom
    is not a commodity to be traded like sugar or automobiles.