[lit-ideas] Re: Opinion needed

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 20:54:56 -0700

On Oct 12, 2008, at 8:34 PM, Julie Krueger wrote:

Ignoring Paul Stone's clear claim to gold in and above the ground, I list:

(p.s. -- want to tally up what a year's expenditure would be for:

personal tutor to 2 children--   my task
chef--mine
janitor--mine
launderer--nope, DIY
personal shopper--split
secretary--nope
interior decorator--yup
automatic alarm & reminder system--nope
individual scheduler--nope
artist as needed--yup
nurse--nope
seamstress--yup
zookeeper/veterinarian--yup
chauffeur--that's me
event coordinator==split
party planner--split
bookkeeper/accountant--yup

and there follows

gardener
cleaner of gutters and roof
maintenance of all vehicles, property and machinery
buyer of books, boats, brooms, brussel sprouts, bagpipes, blossoms, beer
bringer of art and taker away of fluff

and so on.

The point is that we all deserve moments of appreciation,
and forgiveness. I was very skeptical when PNCA hosted the Forgiveness Project and spoke against hosting. But on Yom Kippur I had to advise my daughter, and I found myself reaching for what Desmond Tutu says about forgiveness being a form of self interest.

http://www.theforgivenessproject.com/stories/desmond-tutu

And why on earth does the world have advise, advice and advize and still not know how to resolve the financial crisis? Geary probably could tell us that it's a party issue, or absence thereof, but he's likely asleep at this hour.

http://www.advize.nl/
http://learnenglish.ecenglish.com/lessons/how-advise-someone-not-do- something

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon