[lit-ideas] Re: On whether to rescue Finland in 1939

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 14:58:08 -0700 (PDT)

I'll study the FCO docs, interesting stuff. However,
while Wikipedia is not an authority, the story as
presented in it is by no means original and makes
perfect sense given the facts. It is pretty close to
Finnish history as I was thought it at school, and
hence my surprise.

I see no reason to deny that popular sympathy to
Finland's fight at the time was important, but I also
do not see this is as a reason to ignore the larger
strategic aims of UK, France and others at the time as
Morgenthau seems to be doing.

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland