[lit-ideas] Re: On the Psychological Interpretation of War

  • From: John Wager <johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:39:48 -0600

War is "periodic" but not constant.  It's like disease: We will NEVER be
able to rid humanity of diseases--but that doesn't mean we are always
sick or that medicines never work. We CAN win the struggle against
disease, but only for a short time, and we CAN extend life expectancy.
Likewise, we CAN limit the harm of war and we CAN extend the times when
we are relatively at peace.  Just because war is "inevitable" does not
mean that it must start now. I'd be happy if my daughter's next 20 years
could be relatively peaceful--this does not seem unreasonable or
unrealistic.