[lit-ideas] Re: On playing fast and loose...

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 20:38:36 -0700

Ursula Stange wrote:

And what would that good book be? I'd be interested in what people have been reading this summer.

I've been reading Anthony Powell's A Dance to the Music of Time, a series of twelve novels set in England, that proceed in fictional time from 1921 to 1971, but refer back to events in 1914. The novels were published between 1951 and 1975, with four 'movements' of three novels each. I've read the first nine and in a few minutes I'm going to start on the tenth, Books Do Furnish a Room. I'm sorry that I have only the last movement left; Dance gives genuine meaning to the expression 'fictional world.' It's a world I'll be sorry to leave.

If you're looking for conventional plots, this series may not be for you; but if you want to follow the lives of literate, quirky, interesting people as they rise and fall over time in fifty years of social and moral change, it might.

The U of Chicago publishes Dance in four squarish paperback volumes (one per movement), which one can buy in like new condition from Amazon sellers for less than $10 each.

Robert Paul
Reed College