[lit-ideas] On Reading Military History

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 11:25:55 -0500

David wrote: No, war doesn't make me despair of man. Yes, all the rules of civilization are suspended and yes, people behave in ways that shock us into horror. But people also sometimes behave well, and that should encourage us. As Christians are wont to tell us, humans are a flawed lot. But they must also give us cause for hope; they are all we've got.

Eric: I wasn't trying to suggest that war makes one despair of homo sapiens, so much as to suggest that reading military history, for me anyway, conveyed a sense of how little had changed. It was a leveling. It made me expect less of human behavior in war. Like the famous Dulce et Decorum est...only without the bitterness, the disillusionment. Just the thing itself.

This is what we are. This is how we do it. This will not change soon. It cannot because this is who and what we are. And that's not to despair, but to recognize what is, where we start from, as Richard Wilbur says in "Walking to Sleep," ... "to stare your brother down/ though the swart crows have pecked his sockets hollow." We have to start somewhere don't we? If we are to start at all?

So refreshing when people do behave well, briefly manage to behave well, and even I manage to do it. As for the Ustinov play John Wager mentioned, I don't know it, but will look for it at the Strand.