[lit-ideas] Re: Oh to be in England, now that the Lancettis are on sale

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 07:43:38 -0800

On Mar 20, 2006, at 10:46 PM, Robert Paul wrote:

polishing his 2007 Audi 8 carefully

Oooooooooh! Is that a spider crawling on my spine, or is it envy?

I suppose I could buy one of Eric's bikes, but I could also buy a truuuuuck and impress you all with the size of my bigness:

http://portland.craigslist.org/car/142664221.html

Meanwhile...allow me to call your attention to the "golden age of Scottish swimming," in which swimmers have "blown expectations out of the water."

<x-tad-smaller>ANOTHER night in the pool, another two gold medals for Scotland. A golden age of Scottish swimming has dawned in Melbourne at this year's Commonwealth Games.</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>
</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller>

JPEG image

GIF image

<x-tad-smaller>
</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>David Carry from Aberdeen already had two individual titles, and yesterday Caitlin McClatchey, in the 400 metres freestyle, and Gregor Tait, in the 200 metres individual medley, joined him on his pedestal. Methodically and professionally, each snatched a second gold medal away from English and Australian rivals. None of the familiar Scottish near-misses, no glorious failure, just champion performances.</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>

</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>It has been a wild spree, and there is still one day of swimming to go. In no previous Commonwealth Games has Scotland won as many gold medals in one sport as swimming has achieved in the past week. And there have also been three silver and two bronzes won in Melbourne.</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>

</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>Few outside the sport saw this coming, and those who did are grinning like Cheshire cats because Melbourne was not widely expected to be a happy hunting ground for Scots. Fifteen medals was the target for all sports put together, and expectations have been blown out of the water.</x-tad-smaller>

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon