[lit-ideas] Re: Oh, great!

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:21:49 -0700

I don't understand these "re-creations of battles". The Americans do this over and over again with Civil War battles. And now the Brits are doing naval battles.

These can only be events that are stripped of all meaning. People die in battles. Battles happen because difference forces are trying to destroy each other. But none of that happens in a re-creation. The event is literally only "recreation", as in "a bit of fun".

War is a horrible thing and I simply don't see why it should be turned into amusement. War-as-amusement only encourages militarization and makes war into something acceptable.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com