[lit-ideas] Re: Oh, great!

  • From: Eric Yost <Mr.Eric.Yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 01:52:00 -0400

Andreas: I don't understand these "re-creations of battles".

Watch children play "army" or even "hide and seek" and you have the re-enactment of warfare and hunting behaviors that probably predate writing, yet have persisted as empires, religions, and cosmologies have ascended, declined, and disappeared.

We are after all social predator mammals. Paintball anyone? Bar fights? Tae Kwan Do classes? Go to church to enact ritual cannibalism? Soccer matches? Nuclear war? Computer games? Or maybe just defeat someone's thesis in debate?

Chewing the bones and snarling,
Eric