[lit-ideas] Re: OT: online dictionaries

  • From: "Peter D. Junger" <junger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 17:43:48 -0400

Paul Stone writes:

: At 03:59 PM 8/4/2004, you wrote:
: >I'm not sure that 'Putsch' means 'an argument, spat, or disagreement,'
: >which is
: >what PS was looking for. It usually means 'coup,' as in the failed Putsch
: >attempt in Austria in 1934.
: >
: >Waiting for correction from Mainz, I remain,
:
: It does mean "coup" and that IS the word I was looking for. If anyone is
: interested, the reason I asked is because I watched a movie called "The
: Grey Zone" over the weekend. It was about a bunch of what were called
: Kommandos at a group of 4 nazi death camps during WWII. Each group of
: kommandos were Jews who operated the ovens and ran the gas chambers in
: exchange for food/drink/comfort privileges and, in varying degrees,
: approximately 4 extra months of life.
:
:   In any case, in one scene, a doctor (who was himself a compromised Jew
: who assisted Dr. Mengele) was arguing with the director of the camp about
: the Naziism and the commander was talking about the need for one race so
: that there would be no more wars. The doctor replied, "but you already have
: wars within your pure race". The commander said "those are not wars, they
: are putsches" and goes on about the semantic difference and the reason that
: there were two different words etc., but he never did SAY what the word
: actually meant. All I could glean was that, in the commander's estimation,
: a "putsch" was nowhere near as serious. I guess I was sort of right, but
: not nearly.

In my Langenscheidt's Pocket Dictionary the Germam ``Putsch'' is
translated as ``putsch, riot.''  I take it that ``riot'' catches
the commander's meaning.

--
Peter D. Junger--Case Western Reserve University Law School--Cleveland, OH
 EMAIL: junger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    URL:  http://samsara.law.cwru.edu