[lit-ideas] Number: Logic and Grammar

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:39:58 EDT

In a message dated 9/21/2004 8:08:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
A number  is a quantity, for example: X.  If you have 2 X (written out as
XX), then  it's just
two of the X. The concept of XX includes the concept of one X  and one X. The
concept of one
X includes the possiblity of multiple  X.

-----

Okay. Let's take apples

One apple. I have the concept of 'one' (adjective) and the concept of
'apple' (noun). This does not always work ("one sugar" makes little sense, or
"one
water"). If we say "two apples", I need to have the concept of "apple" and
the concept of "two" -- I don't think I need to have the concept of "one". It
may be a 'form of life' -- to use Wittgenstein's term -- where things only
_come  in pairs_.

Actually a lot of our concepts work like that. At a seminar in linguistics
attended by many including L. Horn, they discussed the implicatures of

        "My ball itches".

The sentence was dubbed 'ungrammatical' by many in that it's never  specified
which (of the two balls) actually itches. (Some proposed that the  utterer is
mono-testicular, to bestow the sentence with an otherwise dubious
grammaticality).

Quine, in _Methods of Logic_, comments on the highly complex logical form  of
something like,

         "The twelve apostles ate  bread".

For Quine, "twelve" works like "some" and "all" (and "many"), as a
quantifier. He held that there is a iota-quantifier, "the apostle", (1x), and a
 binary
quantifier (2x), etc. He considered that these were really higher-order
quantificational operators. George Boolos has developed some of Quine's views
--
in his posthumous _Logic, Logic, and Logic_ --, where again, the idea of
number  is given some sort of 'truth-functional' approach _vis a vis_ Frege's

I believe Kant was one of the first to approach the issues involved, and he
certainly said that the concept of 12 is included in the concept of 5 and in
the  concept of 7 _and_ in the concept of addition. So it's not just that 7 and
5  make 12. It's a special 'and' ("7 and 5 make 2" if 'and' gets interpreted
as  'minus' there).

Cheers,

JL