[lit-ideas] Re: Rhetorical Answer

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:44:51 EDT

In a message dated 9/21/2004 9:36:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
[Kerry  and Bush] allowed to write their rhetorical answers on 'the type of
paper of  their choosing.' We should learn a lot from these  'debates.'

----

I was surprised to learn that 'rhetorical question' is a rather recent
addition to the English language. The OED dates the first occurrence in 1843.
Other cites below. Nothing for 'rhetorical answer' (cf. Geary,
_Syncategoremata_)
-- and have not checked yet google.com. It seems to me that  the idea of a
rhetorical answer makes quite a lot of sense, and I'm surprised no  one ever
defined it clearly in a common dictionary.

Cheers,

JL

rhetorical  question:

1843 T. K. ARNOLD Latin Prose Comp. §442

Non is often  used without ne in vehement questions, especially, of course,
questions  of appeal, or, as Reisig calls them, rhetorical questions.

1884  Bradley's Aids to Lat. Prose §150

Questions that do  not require an answer, but are only put in the form of a
question in order to  produce a greater effect,..are called rhetorical
questions.