[lit-ideas] Re: No Special Forces, thank you...

  • From: John Wager <johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:48:46 -0500

Unfortunately, the U.S. Army no longer "embeds" philosophers!  They used
to; I was an E-6 sergeant in Vietnam and a recent B.A. in philosophy,
thanks to the draft. I STILL think there should be a draft, and that the
first ones on the list should be philosophy majors. Not because it would
be good for the philosophy majors, but because it would be good for the
Army and the U.S. Right now, the only people in the Army are those who
enlisted because they did NOT have any doubts about serving. Drafting
philosophy majors means there would be many more doubters in the Army,
and despite its protests, the Army would be better off as a fighting
force if there were at least a few people in it that had their doubts
about what it was doing.  Often just a simple "Hey Guys!" was enough to
make them think a bit more; sometimes them seeing me everywhere with my
camera was enough. But they knew there was a strange sergeant philosophy
major among them at all times, so I think what happened was different
there, in a tiny corner, than in some other parts of the war.